It is said that despite what has happened in our childhood, and whether we experienced childhood trauma and violence, we are still in control of our destiny. If we want to move forward, we have to let go of our past and move into the future. We have to forgive, let go, move on and it helps just knowing that we are not alone. There are many abused children and they are afraid of their own future.
Below are child abuse statistics in America from ChildHelp.org
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds
- More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse
- Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4.
- It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
- More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way.
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- About 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion.
“When children are exposed to abuse, they learn to protect themselves by denial, withdrawal, approval-seeking, turning off their feelings, by acting out, and by self-blame. Using these coping mechanisms in childhood has long-term consequences, which can include lack of trust, a fear of change and resultant difficulty in adjusting, difficulty knowing or showing one’s own feelings, being easily stressed and acting on that by abusing substances, food, and one’s own body, and feelings of low self-esteem and self-worth.”
It is very difficult to heal our hearts, and it will take time. This will support us immensely if we allow time for our own wellbeing, for the most important person: you.
Counseling is a very effective way to support you and there are various healing workshops on offer. I found the Hoffman Process workshop very beneficial.