Zanzibar consists of small clusters of islands about 40km from the mainland, Tanzania. Nestled in turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean, the archipelago comprises of two main islands called Unguja and Pemba as well as a number of smaller islets and atolls. One can describe Zanzibar as an exotic island paradise blessed with palm fringed shores, timeless fishing villages and lush spice plantations.
Unguja, known as Zanzibar is the largest island measuring around 85km from north to south and 30km east to west. Unique African identity, Zanzibar is shaped by a turbulent history with a colourful cast of characters, from slave traders and sultans to pirates and princesses. Today Zanzibar is a blend of modern and ancient charm with a historic quarter called Stone Town. You will find an exotic blend of Arabic, Indian, European and African architecture of imposing palaces and fascinating maze of narrow streets and alleyways which lead past many old house and mosques, ornate places, shops and bazaars.
Zanzibar is packed with activities that will keep you smiling throughout your stay. From cultural and historical tours to pristine reefs and magical forests, Zanzibar provides it all.
1. Spice and Slave Tours – exploring the country side around Stone Town and meeting the rural communities.
2. Jozani Forest – A narrow belt of land linking east and west coast and home to the island’s most photographed resident, the Zanzibar red colobus monkey.
3. Dolphin and Whale Tours – Swim with dolphins in the Kizimkazi waters and spot whales at the most southerly point of Zanzibar.
4. Diving and Snorkeling – Zanzibar is surrounded by impressive array of coral reefs and marine life.
5. Deep fishing and Blue Safari – A fisherman’s paradise where you can experience spectacular deep-sea fishing and record-breaking catches. Sail away on one of the local carved Swahili dhow and go snorkeling, enjoy a fresh seafood grill with lazy sunbathing on white sandy beaches of the lagoons where dreams are made of.
6. Various Excursions: Prison island trips, sunset and sunrise cruises and sandbank picnics are only a few of many other mouth-watering experiences waiting for you.
7. Watersports: waterskiing, windsurfing sailing, kitesurfing and kayaking are all available for your pleasure including equipment rental and training.
8. Conferencing and weddings – the perfect setting for large functions, conferences and weddings.
- Exploring / Design: Zanzibar Style (apartmenttherapy.com)