Stress affects us all. Today I was victim of this uncomfortable emotion that drove me totally insane! All I wanted to do was to finish my work but unfortunately stress found its way into my system and confronted me with a tough lesson. At the end, I was so unproductive except for writing this post! 😉
Why do we stress? Stress is a small word that causes a lot of problems for so many. After my experience with stress (so far my entire postgraduate year!) I have to share with you that I am not managing stress very well. What is stress and why do we have it?
Apparently stress is necessary to survive in this life. It can be a positive, negative or neutral experience. I found out that the key to handle stress lies in how we manage it when the feeling of stress comes our way.
Here are some interesting facts about stress:
- When you’re overwhelmed with too many things in your life or experiencing something out of the ordinary, stress is what you feel.
- Your body responds naturally as though you would be in danger (survival)
- Your body experiences a release of hormones that makes your heart beats faster, you breathe faster and you get a boost of energy.
- The body’s response to stress is called the fight-or-flight mode.
When it happens, this is what you can do: (between brackets are my own examples)
- Acknowledge that you have stress (yes, about 8 out of 10!)
- Find out where it comes from (university and personal)
- Write it down and get a clear picture of your situation (thesis and assignment deadlines and my housework)
- Prioritize your situation and manage your time by using a time-table for that specific period (weekly timetable done for August with checklists)
- Find better ways to cope with situations like to call on support if you need to. (asked my mom and friend to support me with my housework and lighter projects)
- Learn from your past and make positive changes for your future. (saying no to social commitments!)
- Go for a massage, meditate or have a relaxing weekend away in the country. (celebrate my achievements and make time for the most important person in my life…me!)
I already booked that massage for next week and I am feeling better already! I hope you do too 😉